Saturday, April 11, 2015

Contemplating Animating

As I continue to experiment with and explore the art of comics, my mind keeps returning to animation. Animation has always compelled me and I have wanted to improve my skills in this area. So this week I'll go over my thoughts on animation and what I see in store for my future with this style of art.

Dancing Apprentice: by Thomas Sigwalt


The animation playing is a small clip from a fantasy story I have been working on. In this clip I wanted to see what I could do with lights and shadows after I have placed objects into a scene. I had a lot of fun building the character and the room he inhabits. It took a lot of time to make this short clip but I like the results.

I used a vector art program to create this animation. There are many layers stacked upon each other to result in this scene. Nearly every object has its own layer. The character has his own file that I can use to manipulate his shape and location.

Working on animation has been a blast for me. I will continue working on my current projects, including Hugh Manatee, but on the side I will also create some small animations. I am excited to see how I can use animations in some of my other projects as well.

Next week's posting will explain why this post was so late. (It had to do with a white room...)

No comments:

Post a Comment